I just cracked up reading my list of favorites from 2010. So much has changed... and so much has stayed the same.
1. Books. One of my unannounced goals of 2011 was to finish 52 books over the course of the year. I had no idea how in love I would become with books. I wasn't even sure if I could finish 52 books... I mean, that's a book a week in addition to school reading! I am currently reading my 65th and 66th book right now... so technically I only finished 64. But that's WAY beyond my goal. Books have allowed me to escape stressful situations, travel around the world, meet new friends, and become a better student. The more I read, the faster I found myself being able to get through textbook chapters. In order to save money, because honestly 64 books is expensive, I started checking books out from the library. Brilliant. Everyone should get a library card.
(Just a few...)
2. Music. At the very end of 2010, I was gifted a subscription to Pandora One. I typically am not a music fan. Literally... the most played songs on my iTunes used to be from Baby Einstein soundtracks!!! However, over the course of the year, I have discovered the true magic of music. Lyrics written by strangers can match up so perfectly to my life. I actually listen to music now... and even try to remember some of the words. I love finding a new song and adding it to a playlist. Songs can really evoke some great memories.
3. Apple. I've been a fan of Apple since eighth grade when I got my first iPod Mini. However, this year my love for the electronics has been taken to a whole new level. I got a new Macbook Pro, an iPad, and an iPhone. Brilliant little products. I have gotten so much use out of all of them.
4. Entrepreneurship. This has multiple parts... so please bear with me! First, I have absolutely loved taking Entrepreneurship at Georgetown. So much so, in fact, that after I took the course in the Spring I was a teaching assistant in the Fall! I loved my professor and I loved my fellow classmates. It was a truly inspiring class and I can honestly say it changed my life. Also in entrepreneurship... I started my own company!!!!!!!! I mean, how crazy is that? TCP, Inc has been so much fun and I can't wait to see where it goes in the future. Also, I started sending out Prep Talk in January of 2011... I feel like I've been doing it forever so it's hard for me to believe it's only been a year. Oh... and don't forget Sweet Lemon Magazine! That's been quite the adventure!
5. Big decisions. I spent half of the year as a coxswain and half of the year not as a coxswain. Quitting crew was a major major major life decision, but I couldn't be happier right now. It felt weird at the beginning. Something I had been doing for years and all of a sudden it wasn't part of my daily routine. It was strange to have no rowing in the summer, and to actually be able to go home on breaks! I miss my friends, of course, but I'm much happier without the stress. (I also had an INCREDIBLE semester GPA-wise and I believe there is definitely a correlation there!)
6. New York City. This was on my list last year... but my feelings for the city have only grown more intense and more "real." I've made multiple trips to the city this year and I have fallen more in love. Oh boy. I can't wait to see what the future holds for Carly and the Big Apple. I think this is going to be huge. NYC watch out.
7. Meeting new friends. This was also one of my goals for 2010. (More specifically, I wanted to meet a new friend every week.) I interned with College Fashionista in the spring and I met some really fun people that way. I also took trips to New York and met some incredible incredible incredible people. I also had some friend "issues," but overall, I decided to surround myself with inspiring people and to let go of those who brought me down. New friends also comes with risks... but the unlikely risk is well worth it when you really connect with someone.
8. Red jeans & Loafers & Blazers. Not necessarily all three together (although.... it definitely could work). These three things have been staples in my closet! My favorite pair of red jeans, loafers, and blazer. Each item is extremely versatile. Love x 3.
(All shots by F.E. Castleberry for Unabashedly Prep... also one of my new friends!)
9. No meat! Giving up meat this year was unexpected, but it's been great. I feel much better and much healthier!
10. J. Crew. Now J. Crew totally made a comeback this year. Great for my closet, horrible for my wallet. But in all seriousness... I have a hard time not finding something new to lust over every time I enter the store. This year I've bought shorts, shirts, jeans, blazers, shoes, coats, belts, and accessories. If that doesn't describe the success of the brand this year, I don't know what does.
What were your 2011 Favorites?