When my stress levels are in overdrive, I tend to clean and organize.
True Story: Senior year of high school I was an absolute wreck. One morning, I decided to clean the back of the journalism room. This was a major fish to fry. I swear, there was a pot of coffee from 1987…. with coffee solidified in the bottom. Gross.
Anyway… with all the stresses of senior year (anyone want to hire me??? gulp.), I’ve been on a spring cleaning spree. I have vacuumed my room about twice a day for the past week. If you’re not as OCD about that as me, I thought I’d share some of the big ticket items on my spring cleaning list:
1) Junk Drawer – This is the easiest place to start, especially if you find yourself sitting at your desk with writer’s block. File important papers and receipts. Trash old pens that don’t work anymore. Touch base with business cards. Stock up on index cards, post-its, paper clips, and rubber bands.
2) Closet – Pull everything out of the closet. Switch out seasonal clothes. Send your spring clothes to the dry cleaners since they’ve been in storage. Get old clothing altered. Donate things that fit or you haven’t worn!
3) Calendar – If you’ve neglected your calendar (whether it’s your Google calendar, or iCal, or agenda), now is a good time to get it back up to speed. Schedule the neglected visit to the dentist. Add a weekly phone call with a loved one and a fun date with a friend.
4) Handbags – This is a much neglected area to clean!!! Empty each bag. Toss out receipts, tickets, and random mint wrappers. Restock with ponytail holders, Chapstick, and band-aids.
5) Contacts in Phone – Capitalize names, delete contacts you don’t need (read: annoying boys’ numbers), add last names to rogue contacts. And something I’ve been meaning to do for a while now, match up email addresses with cell phone numbers!
6) Instant Queue – I always forget to delete films I’ve watched from my Netflix Instant Queue and then I never have anything new to watch. Gather recommendations from your Facebook, Twitter, and Blogger friends and refill your Instant Queue with must-sees!