So I am actually feeling a lot more confident when it comes to cooking dinners. I mastered all the chicken type recipes. (I use “master” very loosely here!) And I even feel comfortable to cook a steak! A year ago, I never would have thought this would be the case. As we try more and more recipes (thanks to Plated!), Garrett and I realized how much we love meals that involve ground turkey. I asked Louisa if she had any great recipes to share and love her suggestions:
A couple of weeks ago, Carly put in a request for recipes using ground turkey. I was immediately into this idea because if you follow my blog or my Instagram, you’ll know that ground turkey is an ingredient I use all the time in my recipes. I still use ground beef or ground pork for certain dishes, but more often than not, I’m using ground chicken or turkey. Some people might say they prefer to use turkey over beef for health reasons, but I’m not a doctor, so I can’t speak to that. What I can speak to are flavors and cooking techniques.
One thing to keep in mind when cooking with ground turkey is that the flavor is much milder than that of ground beef or ground pork. This means that it can be used in dishes where you don’t want the meat to overpower the flavor profile of the dish. For example, when I was testing my lettuce wraps, I tested them using ground beef, ground turkey, and ground chicken. I found that the beef was overpowering and a little too greasy for the lettuce wraps and ended up using ground chicken (but turkey works just as well).
My Top 3 Recipes Using Ground Turkey:
1. Turkey and white bean chili is my go-to chili dish for cold winter days. I love the texture and flavor ground turkey gives this dish. The secret ingredient? Pickled jalapenos.
2. Whenever I’m craving something lighter, I love to make my turkey and spinach meatballs. These meatballs have spinach added right into the mixture and some lemon zest to perk things up.
3. The summer means burgers and my 5-ingredient turkey burgers are one of my favorite things to grill. Because turkey is so lean, I like to add a hint of mayonnaise for a little extra fat to the burgers.
When I’m not eating my 5-ingredient turkey burgers, I’m eating this recipe I’m sharing with you today for Greek turkey burgers (hint: they are studded with feta cheese).
Do you have any recipe requests? You can comment them below, and I’ll try to work them into an upcoming post!
Greek Turkey Burgers with Feta
2 lbs ground turkey
½ red onion, finely chopped
¼ cup ketchup
4 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp dried thyme
Zest of 1 lemon
1 cup diced feta
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
2. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients.
3. Shape into eight patties.
4. Grilled for 6-8 minutes per side or until fully cooked.
5. Assemble burgers!